Hello friends! Today I am going to make my third toddler easy and quick healthy meal. Today’s meal is pumpkin rice. Pumpkin is an extremely nutrient dense food, it is a very rich source of vitamin A and minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus, which your child needs for his development. It is also known as one of the best sources of beta-carotene.
Tip of the day: It is not only the food you give to your child to eat and the quantities you offer are what matters, but also the style you cook also matters. For example: steaming, baking, broiling and baking are healthier than frying.
- ½ tbsp of olive oil
- 1 small finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup of peeled, deseeded and finely chopped pumpkin
- 1 homemade chicken stock
- ½ cup of white rice
- ¾ cup of water
- ½ tbsp of freshly chopped mint leaves
- ½ tbsp of freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. Put the olive oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes until softened.
2. Add the pumpkin and cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
3. Add the rice and cook, stirring for 2 minutes then put the stock and slowly simmer, stirring constantly, until the stock is absorbed.
4. Add the water and bring to a boil over high heat uncovered, without stirring, until the surface look dry.
5. Cover with a tight fitting lid, and reduce heat to low for about 20 minutes.
6. Add the freshly chopped mint, stir for 10 seconds then hen remove from heat and let sit covered, about 5 minutes.
7. Transfer into a small bowl and top with the Parmesan cheese.
Note: you can cook this meal to the whole whole family not only for toddlers.. it is delicious, healthy and smells great! I personally love it!